Dark Choclate Waffles
2 call purpose flour
1/2 cunsweetened, cocoa powder
1/4 c(packed) brown sugar
2 tspbaking powder
1 tspbaking soda
1 tspkosher salt
3large eggs, separated
1/2 colive oil
1 tspvanilla extract
6 ozbittersweet chocolate, chopped fine, at least 70% cacao
·nontick vegetable oil spray
·warm pure maple syrup (for serving)
How to Make Dark Choclate Waffles
- Preheat oven to 250°.
- Make a well in the center and add egg yolks, buttermilk, oil, and vanilla. Blend with a fork, then gradually incorporate dry ingredients, mixing just until combined.
- Using an electric mixer on medium-high speed, beat egg whites in a small bowl until soft peaks form.
- Working in 2 batches, fold egg whites into batter just until combined.
- Fold in chocolate.
- Heat a waffle iron until very hot; lightly coat with nonstick spray.
- Working in batches, cook waffles until cooked through.
- Transfer to a wire rack set inside a baking sheet, cover loosely with foil, and keep warm in oven until ready to serve.
- Serve waffles with butter and syrup.
- DO AHEAD: Batter with egg whites can be made 4 hours ahead. Cover and chill.
- Bon Appetit
Jan 29, 2014