☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
·1/2 cup sugar
·1 tablespoon water
·2 teaspoon corn syrup
·1/4 teaspoon almond extract or 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
·1 bag (14 ounce) sweetened shredded coconut (about 5 1/3 cups lightly packed)
·1 1/2 cup finely shredded unsweetened coconut
·3 ounce cream cheese, softened
·2 egg whites, slightly beaten
How to Make Coconut Macaroons
- Heat oven to 325 degrees.
Line 1 large or 2 small cookie sheets with cooking parchment paper.
- In a 1 quart saucepan combine sugar, water and corn syrup. Heat to boiling, stirring constantly. Reduce heat, simmer 30 seconds to 1 minute, stirring constantly. until sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat and stir in almond extract.
- In a large bowl combine sweetened coconut and 1 cup of unsweetened coconut.
Pour sugar mixture over coconut. Beat with electric mixer on low speed until well mixed.
Add cream cheese and egg whites. Beat on low speed until blended.
- Place remaining 1/2 of unsweetened coconut in a shallow bowl.
With moistened hands, firmly shape rounded Tablespoons of cookie mixture into balls.
Roll in unsweetened coconut to coat. Place 1 inch apart on parchment covered cookie sheet.
- Bake 30 to 40 minutes or until lightly golden brown.
Cool completely at least 30 minutes.
Store in tightly covered container at room temperature.