APRIL FOOLS: Chicken Not - Pie
- (4 1/2-inch) aluminum foil potpie tin
- refrigerated piecrust (most 15-ounce packages contain 2 crusts, enough for 6 of our pies)
- aluminum foil
- egg (makes enough for 6 pies)
- 2 Tbsp
- (3.4-ounce) box instant vanilla or white-chocolate pudding (1 box makes enough for 3 pies)
- yellow and 2 orange starburst candies
- green chewy jolly rancher candy or green tootsie roll candy (we found the green starburst candies to be too pale)
- banana (makes enough for 6 pies)
- 1 to 2
- dried apple rings or a 4-ounce bar of white chocolate (1 bar is enough for 6 pies)
How to Make APRIL FOOLS: Chicken Not - Pie
- 1Bake the crust:
Heat the oven to 450°. Unroll or unfold a piecrust on your work surface. Using the upside-down potpie tin as a guide, cut a circle of dough about 1/2 inch larger than the tin. (If you're making more than one potpie, simply cut another circle from the dough. Reroll the scraps to cut out a third.) Crumple a piece of aluminum foil into a 1 1/2-inch ball and set it in the potpie tin. Cover it with a layer of foil to create a smooth mound, then lay the circle of dough on top.
- 3Beat the egg with the water, then brush the mixture over the dough.
- 4Set the pie tin on a baking sheet and bake the crust for about 10 minutes. Let it cool completely.
- 5Make the filling:
Prepare the pudding according to the package directions and refrigerate until serving time.
- 6Create the faux chicken and vegetables:
To make the Starburst or Tootsie Roll candies easier to work with, place them unwrapped on a paper plate and warm them in the microwave just until they're slightly softened, about 12 to 15 seconds. (The Jolly Rancher candies will soften from the warmth of your hands.) Once you've shaped them, lay the candies on waxed paper or a paper plate, set apart from each other so they won't stick together
- 10Potatoes: Peel the banana, slice off three 1/4-inch-thick pieces, then cut each piece into small cubes.
- 11Cubed carrots: Cut each orange candy into 4 squares.
- 12Assemble the pie:
Just before serving time, spoon about 2/3 cup of the pudding into the pie tin.
- 13Add the candies and the fruit to the pudding, then set the piecrust on top.