·parchment paper for lining 2 cake pans
·cooking spray or crisco shortening for coating cake pans
2 Tbspflour (for dusting cake pans)
14 ozfrozen strawberries
3/4 cskim milk or 2% milk (i used skim and the batter seems much lighter, softer.
6egg whites (room temperature)
2 1/4 ccake flour (sifted)
1 1/2 csugar (sifted)
4 tspbaking powder
1 1/2 stickbutter(sliced in tbls sections ) softened
15 Tbspbutter, softened
3 cconfectioners' sugar
2 pkg8oz cream cheese
·reserved strawberry pulp
·fresh strawberries slices for layered center of cake
How to Make Dream Cake
- Preheat oven to 350*
Spray 2 9" cake pans with cooking spray.(or grease by hand)
Line bottoms with parchment paper and spray again.
Dust each with about 1 tbls flour. (tap gently on upside down pans with hands over sink to remove excess flour.)
- Microwave frozen berries for 3-4 minutes to thaw and release juice.
Mash berries through a fine strainer thoroughly until you have a dry pulp.
(save pulp for use in frosting)
- In a saucepan reduce juice until thick and syrupy about 1/4 cup.(this took about 8-9 minutes)
(you will have extra juice probably..but I used the rest to decorate top of the cake. OPTIONAL)
- In a medium size bowl whisk together strawberry juice reduction and skim milk.
Whisk in vanilla and egg whites
- Sift together cake flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in stand- mixer bowl. With mixer fitted with paddle mix on low until combined.
Add butter, 1 piece at a time until incorporated.(will be crumbly)
Add half of milk/strawberry juice mixture, increase speed to medium-high, and beat until light and fluffy, about 1 minute.
Reduce speed to medium-low, add remaining milk mixture, and beat until incorporated and fluffy.
- Pour equal amounts of batter into prepared pans and bake until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 20 to 25 minutes.
Cool cake in pans on wire rack for 10 minutes.
Remove cake from pans, discarding parchment, and cool completely on racks, about 2 hours.
- Slice fresh strawberries thinly and lay on paper towels to remove excess juices.
- FROSTING: Using stand mixer fitted with paddle, mix butter and sugar on high speed until pale and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
Add cream cheese, one piece at a time, and beat until incorporated, about 1 minute.
Add reserved strawberry pulp and mix until combined, about 30 seconds.
- Place 1st cake layer on cake plate
Frost layer with about 1/3 frosting.
Add the layer of sliced fresh berries then more frosting on top of the berries.
Add 2nd cake layer and complete frosting the whole cake.
Decorate as desired.