Strawberry Buttermilk Sponge
1punnet of strawberries about 1 1 1/2 cups
1 1/2 stickbutter, softened
1 ccaster sugar
1 3/4 cself rising flour ( cake flour)
1 1/2 Tbspbrown sugar
1/2 tsppure vanilla extract
How to Make Strawberry Buttermilk Sponge
- Heat the oven to 350f and grease and line a 20.5cm round spring-clip tin
- Rinse strawberries and pat dry. Chop half the strawberries in to quarters and leave the remainder whole.
- Put the butter in the a bowl and whisk until soft, add sugar and whisk. Add vanilla and beat for a couple of mins until pale and fluffy.
- Beat the eggs in a small bowl, then gradually add to the butter mix, beating well. Add 1/3 of the buttermilk and gently fold it with a metal spoon then fold in a third of the flour. Fold the rest of the buttermilk and the flour the same way in 2 batches. Gently mix in the chopped strawberries ( tip sprinkle flour on strawberries before adding- it helps them not to sink in the batter)
- pour the mixture in to tin and press a few whole strawberries into the top of the mixture. Sprinkle with brown sugar. Bake for 30-40 mins until golden or a skewer comes out clean. leave to cool before removing from tun.
Delicious with a cup of coffee