Strawberry Almond Cream Cakelets
1 boxclassic white cake mix
1/2 ccanola oil
18 ounce package cream cheese, softened at room temperature
5 cpowdered sugar
1/2 cmashed freshed strawberries
12whole strawberries(for garnish)
2 tsppure almond extract
1/2 ccool whip
How to Make Strawberry Almond Cream Cakelets
- For Cakes: Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Line 2 large cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- In large bowl, mix together cake mix, egg whites, water and oil with electric mixer(hand held or stand)until well blended and smooth(about 3 minutes).
- Drop by approximately 2 tablespoonfuls onto lined cookie sheets about 2 inches apart(12 on each sheet)
- Bake in preheated oven for approximately 7-9 minutes, until cakes are puffed, and when tooth pick inserted, comes out clean. Cool cakes for 10 minutes.
- For Filling: In large bowl with electric mixer, mix softened cream cheese and 2 cups of powdered sugar together until creamy (about 3 minutes).
Stir in mashed strawberries and 1 1/2 teaspoons of almond extract. Fold in cool whip. Chill filling for 15 minutes.
- To assemble cooled cakes: Spoon approximately 2 tablespoons of filling onto flat side of 1 cake, top with flat side facing down with 2nd cake.
- To make glaze: Combine 3 cups powdered sugar, 1/2 teaspoon almond extract, and 6 tablespoons milk in medium bowl. Spoon glaze over filled cakes, letting drip over sides, place whole strawberry on top, and drizzle a little glaze over strawberry. Refrigerate until ready to use.