SPRING BERRY CAKE
1 boxwhite cake mix plus ingredients to prepare as directed on package (eggs, oil, water)
16 ozfrozen unsweetened strawberries, thawed (with juice) and divided
1 pkgstrawberry flavored gelatin
1/2 cwater, boiling
4 ozcream cheese, room temperature
1/4 cpowdered sugar
1container whipped topping, thawed
·fresh strawberries for garnish (optional)
·fresh mint leaves for garnish (optional)
How to Make SPRING BERRY CAKE
- Prepare white cake as directed on package for a 9"x13" pan. Let cool.
- In food processor or blender, puree strawberries until almost smooth.
- Place a large wire mesh strainer over a bowl; pour berries into strainer and let drain, pressing and stirring as needed, to produce 1/2 cup of juice. Set pulp aside, temporarily.
- To the 1/2 cup of juice, add 1/2 cup water; bring to boil in microwave or in small saucepan on stove.
- Pour powdered gelatin into medium bowl, add boiling liquid and stir until thoroughly dissolved; add 1 cup puree/pulp and mix well.
- Place cake in refrigerator while preparing frosting.
- Beat cream cheese until fluffy; beat in 1/4 cup powdered sugar.
- Add 1/2 remaining strawberry puree/pulp and mix well.
- Set mixer aside; using spatula, gently fold in remaining puree/pulp and reminder of whipped topping.