SALTED CARAMEL PRETZEL CHEESECAKE
Recipe & photo: berries.com
8caramel pretzel rods, crushed
1/2 stickbutter, melted
3 Tbspgranulated sugar
4 pkg(8 oz.) cream cheese, softened
1 cgranulated sugar
1 largeegg yolk
2 tspvanilla extract
1 cgranulated sugar
1/2 cheavy cream
·a few pinches of sea salt
How to Make SALTED CARAMEL PRETZEL CHEESECAKE
- For the Crust: Preheat the oven to 325º and place a rack in the middle. Butter the bottom and sides of a 9-inch spring form pan.
Mix together the caramel pretzel rods, butter and sugar in a bowl until combined.
- For the Cheesecake: Mix the cream cheese and sugar on medium speed until light and smooth. Add the yolk first and then the whole eggs one at a time. Add the vanilla extract and blend.
Pour the mixture into the prepared pan and bake for 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean. Turn the oven off and leave the door slightly open to allow the cheesecake to cool completely.
- For the Caramel: While the cheesecake is baking, stir together the sugar and water in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring it to a boil and let it boil until it turns amber in color, about 4 minutes. Immediately stir in the butter. Remove from heat and add the cream. Set aside to cool to room temperature.
- Pour the cooled caramel over the cooled cheesecake and sprinkle with sea salt.
- To Make Caramel Pretzel Rods:
8 large pretzel rods
5.5 ounces soft caramels
2 tsp cream
Prepare a baking sheet by lining it with aluminum foil and set aside for now. Line a small loaf pan with foil and spray the foil with nonstick cooking spray.
Place the unwrapped caramels and the cream in a microwave-safe bowl and microwave for 45 seconds, then stir. If the caramels are not melted, microwave for an additional 30 seconds, or until they melt when you stir them. Stir until the caramels and cream are completely smooth. Pour the melted caramel into the loaf pan and refrigerate until it sets, about 20-30 minutes. After the caramel sets, remove it from the pan using the foil as handles, and cut it into 8 equal pieces.
Pick up one of the caramel pieces and roll it into a rope about 6 inches long. Press the top of the caramel rope into the top of a pretzel rod, and twirl it around the rod so that it winds about ¾ of the way down.
Place the caramel-wrapped pretzel on the prepared baking sheet, and repeat with remaining caramel and pretzels. Refrigerate the wrapped pretzels.