8 ozself raising flour. (8 heaped tablespoons)
4 ozgood brand soft margarine
3 ozcastor sugar. (3 rounded tablespoons)
4 ozmixed fruit & peel
1egg. (if small, add 1 tablespoon milk.
How to Make Rock Cakes
- Pre-heat oven to 400F: Gas Mark 6.
- Prepare a baking sheet by brushing all over with melted margarine.
- Sieve the flour into a mixing bowl. Cut the margarine into four and rub into the flour until the mixture looks like fine breadcrumbs.
- Stir the sugar, the prepared mixed fruit and peel into the rubbed-in mixture.
- Beat the egg or egg and milk and stir into the dry ingredients to form a stiff crumbly mixture.
- Using a fork, place rough heaps of the mixture, a little apart, on to the prepared baking sheet - they will look small but will raise up and expand whilst in the oven.
- Bake in the pre-heated oven for 15 - 20 minutes.
- Remove cakes from baking tray and cool on a wire tray.
The cakes should resemble rocks, hence the name, but will be crumbly when you bite into them and melt in the mouth.
- Note: I have made this recipe using glacé cherries sliced in half or quartered, instead of the mixed peel and have added a pinch of cinnamon to the dry mixture, which worked perfectly.