- ½ cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1½ cups packed light brown sugar
- 1 (15 ounce) can pineapple chunks or tidbits, drained
- 1 small jar of maraschino cherry halves, drained
- 2-1/4 cups cake flour
- 1½ cups granulated sugar
- ¾ cup crisco shortening
- ¾ cup whole milk
- 3 eggs
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
How to Make Pineapple-Upside-Down Cake
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 2Grease and flour the sides of a 13x9 pan.
- 3Melt butter in a microwave safe dish. In the bottom of pan, pour in the melted butter and make sure the entire bottom of the pan is covered.
- 4Sprinkle the brown sugar over butter.
- 5Place the chunks of pineapple on top of the brown sugar; also adding a cherry every 2-3 inches, halved side up. Set aside.
- 6In a large bowl, beat shortening and sugar until well combined. Add eggs, vanilla and almond extract; beat for another 2 minutes.
- 7dd dry ingredients alternately with milk. Beat for 1 minute.
- 8Spoon or ladle the cake batter carefully over pineapples and cherries.
- 9Bake for 35-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in middle of the cake comes out clean.
- 10Cool cake in the pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Place platter on top of pan and invert. Carefully, lift off the pan.