·½ cup unsalted butter, melted
·1½ cups packed light brown sugar
·1 (15 ounce) can pineapple chunks or tidbits, drained
·1 small jar of maraschino cherry halves, drained
·2-1/4 cups cake flour
·1½ cups granulated sugar
·¾ cup crisco shortening
·¾ cup whole milk
·2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
·1 teaspoon salt
·1 teaspoon vanilla
·1/4 teaspoon almond extract
How to Make Pineapple-Upside-Down Cake
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease and flour the sides of a 13x9 pan.
- Melt butter in a microwave safe dish. In the bottom of pan, pour in the melted butter and make sure the entire bottom of the pan is covered.
- Sprinkle the brown sugar over butter.
- Place the chunks of pineapple on top of the brown sugar; also adding a cherry every 2-3 inches, halved side up. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat shortening and sugar until well combined. Add eggs, vanilla and almond extract; beat for another 2 minutes.
- dd dry ingredients alternately with milk. Beat for 1 minute.
- Spoon or ladle the cake batter carefully over pineapples and cherries.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in middle of the cake comes out clean.
- Cool cake in the pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Place platter on top of pan and invert. Carefully, lift off the pan.