Philadelphia Jewish Apple Cake
Photo adapted from Joy of Kosher.
6 cpeeled, thinly sliced apples (about 3 large apples))
3 cflour, sifted
1 Tbspbaking powder
1 1/2 csugar
1/2 clight brown sugar
1/2 corange juice
2 1/2 tspvanilla
1/2 cchopped nuts (optional)
How to Make Philadelphia Jewish Apple Cake
- Mix apple slices with cinnamon and 1 cup sugar; set aside.
- Combine dry ingredients in a medium bowl; set aside.
- Beat eggs with 1 1/2 cup sugar and 1/2 cup light brown sugar.
- Alternately add dry ingredients and oil to the wet ingredients, then add the orange juice and lastly the vanilla and beat for 1 minute.
- Pour 1/3 rd of the batter into a greased and floured tube pan.
- Layer 1/3 rd of the apples and nuts over the batter.
Repeat with layer of batter, then apples and nuts, then batter, then final layer of apples and nuts.
- Drizzle the cake with a bit of the remaining cinnamon-sugar "syrup" from the apple bowl.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 1 1/4 hours or until tester comes out clean.
- Allow the cake to cool in the pan for 25 minutes.