Peppermint Patty Cake
If you are ambitious you can prepare a homemade cake and chocolate frosting as well. I am using my preferred preparation.
- 1 box
- chocolate cake mix (i like pillsbury traditional chocolate)
- 1 can(s)
- prepared chocolate frosting (again, pillsbury is preferred)
- eggs, oil and water for cake prep
- 2 c
- powdered sugar (have more on hand)
- 2 Tbsp
- 2 Tbsp
- mint or peppermint extract - to taste
- 1/2 to 1 pkg
- andes baking chips
How to Make Peppermint Patty Cake
- 1Prepare cake according to package ingredients. This can be made in either layer form or flat pan - I will give directions for both.
- 2Mix powdered sugar, butter, and milk in bowl. Beat until creamy. Add Mint extract until you reach a mint flavor that seems good to you. (Some people like super minty, some people don't)
You may need to add a little more powdered sugar as the extract will thin the frosting and we want it to be nice and thick!
- 3FOR FLAT PAN:
Frost top of cake to about an 1/8 inch thickness, keeping it as uniform as possible. Place in freezer until you can run a finger over the frosting without smearing it.
- 4Remove pan from freezer. Spread chocolate frosting atop mint frosting.
- 5FOR ROUND PANS:
Remove cake from pans. Trim top and sides so they are level. Spread ONLY TOP of each layer with mint frosting. DO NOT frost the sides! Place in freezer until you can run a finger over frosting without smearing.
- 6Remove pans from freezer. Frost a layer of chocolate over the mint frosting on top of layers. Carefully place one layer on top, frost sides with chocolate only.
Sprinkle Andes Baking chips over top. You can also chop these up very fine and put these on the sides of layer cake.