Orange Chiffon Cake.
- 2-1/4 c
- cake flour sifted
- 1-1/2 c
- sugar granulated
- 3 tsp
- baking powder--double-acting
- 1 tsp
- 1/2 c
- egg yolks unbeaten
- oranges grated rind about -2 tbl
- oranges plus water to make 3/4 cup juice
- 1 c
- egg whites (7 or 8)
- 1/2 tsp
- cream of tartar
How to Make Orange Chiffon Cake.
- 1Heat oven to 325*
Measure the first 4 ingredients into sifter and sift into a bowl.
Make a well in this mixture and add, in order, oil,yolks,orange rind and juice (plus water if needed).
- 2Beat briskly with a spoon 150 full strokes, count actual beating strokes ( stroke means once around the bowl with spoon in beating stirring motion.
- 3In a large bowl, using a mixer,beat egg whites with cream of tartar until whites form very stiff peaks--much stiffer then an Angel Food or meringue. Don't underbeat.
- 4Pour yolk mixture slowly over whipped whites:gently fold in with rubber bowl scraper until just blended. Do not stir.
- 5Pour into ungreased 10" tube pan ( 4"deep) and bake for 65 min. Remove from oven and at once turn upside down, placing tube over neck of funnel or bottle. Let hang free until cold. Remove from pan.
- 6Frost with Orange Butter Frosting or top with powdered sugar or serve with berries, ice cream or a dessert sauce.