Orange Chiffon Cake.
2-1/4 ccake flour sifted
1-1/2 csugar granulated
3 tspbaking powder--double-acting
5egg yolks unbeaten
2oranges grated rind about -2 tbl
2oranges plus water to make 3/4 cup juice
1 cegg whites (7 or 8)
1/2 tspcream of tartar
How to Make Orange Chiffon Cake.
- Heat oven to 325*
Measure the first 4 ingredients into sifter and sift into a bowl.
Make a well in this mixture and add, in order, oil,yolks,orange rind and juice (plus water if needed).
- Beat briskly with a spoon 150 full strokes, count actual beating strokes ( stroke means once around the bowl with spoon in beating stirring motion.
- In a large bowl, using a mixer,beat egg whites with cream of tartar until whites form very stiff peaks--much stiffer then an Angel Food or meringue. Don't underbeat.
- Pour yolk mixture slowly over whipped whites:gently fold in with rubber bowl scraper until just blended. Do not stir.
- Pour into ungreased 10" tube pan ( 4"deep) and bake for 65 min. Remove from oven and at once turn upside down, placing tube over neck of funnel or bottle. Let hang free until cold. Remove from pan.
- Frost with Orange Butter Frosting or top with powdered sugar or serve with berries, ice cream or a dessert sauce.