Old Fashioned Snowball Cake
6 cfrozen whipped topping, thawed
1 can(s)crushed pineapple in heavy syrup (20 oz), drained (reserve the juice)
2 Tbsplemon juice (fresh or concentrate)
1 csugar, granulated
1 pkgflaked coconut (16 oz)
2 pkggelatin, unflavored (.25 ounce packages)
4 Tbspcold water
1 cboiling water
1`angel food cake (10 inch)
How to Make Old Fashioned Snowball Cake
- Line a 4 quart round bowl with plastic wrap. Tear angel food cake into bite size pieces. Drain pineapple thoroughly and reserve the syrup. You should have 1 cup of syrup.
- Dissolve gelatin in the 4 T of cold water. Add the boiling water, the reserved pineapple syrup, the sugar and the lemon juice. Mix well and place in refrigerator until mixture starts to thicken. This may take a few hours.
- Add the crushed pineapple to the gelatin mixture and then fold in 4 cups of the whipped topping.
- Place a layer of cake pieces in bottom of bowl, then a layer of pineapple mixture, continue until all is used up, ending with cake pieces. Chill overnight.
- Turn cake onto a platter or cake stand. Frost with the remaining 2 cups of whipped topping and sprinkle with coconut. I added cherries and a few leaves as well.