Old Fashioned Snowball Cake
- 6 c
- frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 1 can(s)
- crushed pineapple in heavy syrup (20 oz), drained (reserve the juice)
- 2 Tbsp
- lemon juice (fresh or concentrate)
- 1 c
- sugar, granulated
- 1 pkg
- flaked coconut (16 oz)
- 2 pkg
- gelatin, unflavored (.25 ounce packages)
- 4 Tbsp
- cold water
- 1 c
- boiling water
- angel food cake (10 inch)
How to Make Old Fashioned Snowball Cake
- 1Line a 4 quart round bowl with plastic wrap. Tear angel food cake into bite size pieces. Drain pineapple thoroughly and reserve the syrup. You should have 1 cup of syrup.
- 2Dissolve gelatin in the 4 T of cold water. Add the boiling water, the reserved pineapple syrup, the sugar and the lemon juice. Mix well and place in refrigerator until mixture starts to thicken. This may take a few hours.
- 3Add the crushed pineapple to the gelatin mixture and then fold in 4 cups of the whipped topping.
- 4Place a layer of cake pieces in bottom of bowl, then a layer of pineapple mixture, continue until all is used up, ending with cake pieces. Chill overnight.
- 5Turn cake onto a platter or cake stand. Frost with the remaining 2 cups of whipped topping and sprinkle with coconut. I added cherries and a few leaves as well.