2 cgranulated sugar ***
1 tspground mace
1/2 tspground cinnamon
4 largeeggs, separated
3 call purpose flour
2-1/2 tspbaking powder
1/2 call purpose flour
1/2 cchopped pecans
2 tspground cinnamon
How to Make MOTHER'S CINNAMON KUCHEN - AKA COFFEECAKE (SALLYE)
- ***For a richer cake, you can substitute light brown sugar for the granulated variety.
- 1. Preheat oven to 350º F.
2. Grease a tube pan or a 9" x 13" baking dish and set aside.
3. Place egg whites in separate mixing bowl and place in refrigerator for 10 minutes.
4. Remove from fridge and vigorously beat until stiff peaks form. Set back in fridge
- TO MAKE THE CAKE:
1. Combine 2 cups sugar and 1 cup butter in large mixing bowl. Add vanilla, mace, and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon.
2. Using wooden spoon, or mixer on slow speed, stir in eggs (yolks only) one at a time mixing well after each addition.
- 1. Sift 3 cups flour, baking powder and salt together. into a separate mixing bowl.
2. Measure out 1 cup milk.
3. Alternate adding flour and milk to egg and sugar mixture, ending with flour.
2. Blend well with wooden spoon or mixer.
- 1. Remove stiff egg whites from fridge and gently fold into cake batter until well blended.
NOTE: You do NOT want to use the mixer for this step, use the wooden spoon only !!
- 1. Pour batter into prepared pan.
2. Mix topping ingredients together with clean wooden spoon until crumbly.
3. Sprinkle over cake batter evenly, trying to cover entire surface.
- 1. Bake in preheated oven for approximately 70 minutes or until golden brown and toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out clean.
2. Remove from oven and let cool in pan for 5 to 10 minutes before turning out onto serving dish.
Note: You may need to carefully run a knife around the edges to loosen from pan.