Lemon-Strawberry Angel Food Cupcakes
1angel food cake mix, prepared according to pkg directions
3/4 cstrawberry preserves
1 1/2 - 8 ozpkg cream cheese, softened
1/4 cbutter, softened
1/4 cfresh lemon juice
1 - 1 1/2 lbpowdered sugar
2 tsplemon zest
·fresh strawberries for garnish
How to Make Lemon-Strawberry Angel Food Cupcakes
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Prepare angel food cake mix according to directions. Distribute evenly in cupcake pans prepared with paper baking cups. Cups will appear full of batter.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 22-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
Cool in pans on wire rack completely for approximately 30 minutes.
- Make a small hole in the tops of the cooled cupcakes with a knife or end of wooden spoon. Pipe or spoon about 1 tsp. of strawberry jam into the centers of cupcakes.
- For icing, beat cream cheese and butter at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy. Add lemon juice beating until blended. Stir in lemon zest. Spread cream cheese icing on tops of cupcakes. Garnish with fresh strawberry slice if desired.
- NOTES: I have found that using inexpensive strawberry preserves (from the Dollar Store) work the best if you plan to pipe the filling as it is smooth with no chunks of strawberries.
If you plan to pipe the icing, you will definitely need more than 1 pound of powdered sugar.