- 3 Tbsp
- butter, salted or unsalted
- 3/4 c
- packed light brown sugar
- 1 pt
- kumquats, sliced into 1/3rds, seeds removed
- 8 Tbsp
- unsalted butter at room temperature
- 3/4 c
- 1 tsp
- eggs, large, at room temperature
- 1-1/2 c
- 1-1/2 tsp
- baking powder
- 1/4 tsp
- 1/2 c
- whole milk, at room temperature
FOR THE FRUIT LAYER
FOR THE CAKE LAYER
How to Make KUMQUAT UPSIDE-DOWN CAKE
- 1Preheat oven to 350.
- 2In a 10" cast iron skillet or cake pan (not a springform pan), melt the butter and brown sugar over medium heat.
Cook, while stirring with a wooden spoon until the sugar melts and bubbles.
Set aside and allow to coo lwhile you make the cake batter.
- 3Add the flour mixture to the egg mixture, alternating with the milk until the batter is smooth.
Do not over mix.
- 4Arrange the fruit in the bottom of the skillet or pan, cut side down. If you have two cut sides on a piece, place the largest end facing down. Work from the outside of the pan, creating a light ring of fruit.
Continue until you have covered the bottom of the pan.
- 5Pour the batter on top of the fruit nd spread it toward the sides.
Place in the over and bake for 35-45 minutes until a wooden pick comes out clean.
Allow the pan to cool for 20 minutes.
- 6To fliop the cake, place a plate on top of the skillet or pan.
Put on your oven mitts just in case some hot juices escape.
Flip the cake over and it should pop right out.