GERMAN CHOCOLATE CAKE WITH COCONUT-PECAN FROSTING
1 pkgbakers german sweet chocolate
1 tspbaking soda
1 can(s)(12 oz.) evaporated milk
1 1/2 tspvanilla
1 1/2 csugar
3/4 c(1 1/2 sticks) butter or margarine
1 pkg(7 oz.) bakers angel flake coconut (about 2 2/3 cup)
1 1/2 cchopped pecans
How to Make GERMAN CHOCOLATE CAKE WITH COCONUT-PECAN FROSTING
- Preheat oven to 350
- Cover the bottoms of 3(9-inch) round pans with waxed paper, spray sides with cooking spray.
- Microwave chocolate and water in a large bowl on high 1 1/2 to 2 minutes or until chocolate is almost melted.stirring after 1 minute.
Stir until the chocolate is completely melted.
- Beat egg whites in small bowl with mixer on high until stiff peaks form,
- Mix flour,baking soda, and salt.
Beat butter and sugar in large bowl with mixer until light and fluffy.
Add egg yokes, 1 at a time, beating after each.
- Blend in melted chocolate and vanilla.
Add flour mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating until well blended
After each addition.
- Add egg whites, stir gently until well blended.
Pour into prepared pans.
Bake 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted in centers comes out clean.
- Immediately run small spatula around cakes in pans.
Cool cakes in pans 15 minutes.
Remove from pans to wire racks.
- Spread coconut-pecan filling and frosting between cake layers and onto top of cake
- COCONUT-PECAN FROSTING:
- Beat egg yokes, milk and vanilla in a large saucepan with whisk until well blended.
- Add sugar and butter, cook on medium heat 12 minutes or until thickened and golden brown, stirring constantly.
Remove from heat.
Add coconut and nuts, mix well.
Makes about 4 1/2 cups of frosting.