Fudge Brownies with Salted Caramel Buttercream
Please note that the caramel buttercream icing calls for dark brown sugar, it has a much richer flavor and makes a much better caramel icing.
- 12 Tbsp
- butter (1 & 1/2 cubes)
- 12 oz
- semi-sweet baking chocolate (1 & 2 cups if using chocolate chips)
- 1 c
- 6 Tbsp
- light brown sugar, firmly packed
- 4 large
- eggs, room temperature
- 2 tsp
- pure vanilla extract
- 3/4 c
- 3 Tbsp
- cocoa powder, unsweetened
- 1/4 tsp
- salt, (you can omit if you use salted butter)
- 5 Tbsp
- 2/3 c
- dark brown sugar
- 2 1/2 Tbsp
- heavy cream
- 1 3/4 c
- powdered sugar sifted
- course sea salt
How to Make Fudge Brownies with Salted Caramel Buttercream
- 1Melt the butter and chopped chocolate in a medium saucepan on medium heat, stirring constantly, about 5 minutes
- 2Melt the butter and chocolate in a saucepan over a medium heat, stirring constantly, takes about 5 minutes. You can also melt it in the microwave however you need stop and stir every 15 seconds so it does not burn. Pour melted butter and chocolate mixture into a mixing bowl, and allow to cool down for 10 minutes. In another bowl combine flour, cocoa powder, and salt, set aside.
- 3Using a wire whisk, whisk white and brown sugar into the cooled chocolate mixture. Add the eggs, one at a time to the chocolate mixture, whisking until smooth after each addition. Whisk in the vanilla extract. Now gently fold in the flour mixture, being careful not to over mix.
- 4Pour batter into the prepared baking pan and bake for 28 to 35 minutes, when the brownies begin to pull away from the edges of the pan they are done. Watch them closely after 28 minutes so they don't over cook. If they over cook they will be hard and not moist and chewy. Set pan on cooling rack and make your caramel buttercream icing.
- 5For caramel buttercream, combine butter and brown sugar in a sauce pan and bring to a boil. Add cream and bring to a boil again. Remove from heat and add sifted powdered sugar, now stir till smooth. Quickly pour onto your cooled down brownies, I put it on when the brownies are warm but not hot. Spread on evenly, now sprinkle lightly with course sea salt. Gently pat the sea salt so it sticks to your buttercream icing.
- 6Cut and serve, store any leftovers in airtight container, that is if you have leftovers!
Bet you can't eat just one!