You will notice I simmer the raisins before adding to the mix. this helps to ensure they do not burn in the oven and remain moist and plump during cooking.
- 4 oz
- butter, cold
- 8 oz
- self rising flour
- 1 pinch
- 2 oz
- caster sugar
- 3 oz
- 4 Tbsp
- sugar cubes
How to Make Fat Rascals
- 1Preheat oven to 190C and lightly grease a baking tray or line a baking tray with non-sticking lining.
- 2Put the raisins into a small saucepan and cover with water. bring to the boil and simmer for 10 minutes. leave to one side.
- 3Rub or cut the butter into the sifted flour and salt. Add the sugar and drain the raisins and add to the butter/flour mix. Add the milk and combine to a soft dough.
- 4Using a desert or soup spoon, dollop mix into approximately 12 even mounds on the baking tray.
- 5Put the sugar cubes into a bowl and crush into shards - I use the end of my rolling pin for this. Sprinkle on top of fat rascals.
- 6Place baking tray in the middle of the oven for approximately 12 - 15 minutes. Until just turning golden brown at the edges.
- 7Cool on a wire rack.......... try not to eat them when they are still too hot, but they are wonderful warm and fresh out of the oven.