You will notice I simmer the raisins before adding to the mix. this helps to ensure they do not burn in the oven and remain moist and plump during cooking.
How to Make Fat Rascals
- Preheat oven to 190C and lightly grease a baking tray or line a baking tray with non-sticking lining.
- Put the raisins into a small saucepan and cover with water. bring to the boil and simmer for 10 minutes. leave to one side.
- Rub or cut the butter into the sifted flour and salt. Add the sugar and drain the raisins and add to the butter/flour mix. Add the milk and combine to a soft dough.
- Using a desert or soup spoon, dollop mix into approximately 12 even mounds on the baking tray.
- Put the sugar cubes into a bowl and crush into shards - I use the end of my rolling pin for this. Sprinkle on top of fat rascals.
- Place baking tray in the middle of the oven for approximately 12 - 15 minutes. Until just turning golden brown at the edges.
- Cool on a wire rack.......... try not to eat them when they are still too hot, but they are wonderful warm and fresh out of the oven.