Earl Grey Tea Cake with Rhubarb Cream Cheese Glaze
- 2-3 bag(s)
- earl grey tea- enough to equal 3 tsp.
- 1/3 c
- 1/4 c
- boiling water
- 1/2 c
- butter, softened
- 2/3 c
- 1 1/4 c
- self raising flour
- 3/4-1 c
- rhubarb, diced
- 2 Tbsp
- sugar + tablespoon of water
- zest of one lemon
- 1/2-2/3 c
- cream cheese, softened
- 1 c
- powdered sugar, sifted
How to Make Earl Grey Tea Cake with Rhubarb Cream Cheese Glaze
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees, and line and grease and round cake pan.
- 2Empty the tea leaves into a tea/coffee mug and add in the boiling water. Stir and let steep for 3 minutes and then add the milk. Set aside.
- 3Beat together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Reduce speed and add the eggs one at a time until smooth. reduce speed on mixer to low and gradually add the flour/tea mixture, alternating until combined.
- 4Pour mixture into the cake pan and bake for 25-30 minutes. let sit in pan for a few minutes before turning over to cool
- 5While cake is baking or cooling, place rhubarb in a small saucepan on low heat with lemon zest, sugar and water. Simmer until soft, stirring occasionally, (About 10 minutes). Remove from heat and cool. Puree this mixture in a blender or food processor.
- 6In a medium bowl combine cream cheese and powdered sugar and blend until smooth. I usually add this mixture to the blender and blend this and the pureed rhubarb all at the same time, but you can certainly just add the rhubarb mixture to the bowl and combine this together. I also add a little red food coloring to get that bright pink color! I also usually heat this up a little in the small saucepan so it's warm and smooth to pour over the cake. And that's all she wrote! It's so tasty! Especially if you love Earl Grey!