Coconut Milk Cake
·2 cups unsweetened flaked coconut, divided
·3 cups cake flour, sifted before meaasuring
·3 teaspoons baking powder
·1/2 teaspoon salt
·1-1/2 cups sugar
·3/4 cup butter
·3 eggs, separated
·3/4 cup coconut milk
·1/2 teaspoon vanilla
How to Make Coconut Milk Cake
- Have all ingredients at about 75 F. Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease and flour two 9" round baking pans.
- Whisk or sift together cake flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- Cream butter. Add the sugar gradually and continue creaming until very light. Beat in egg yolks and vanilla.
- Add the flour mixture in three parts to the butter mixture alternately with coconut milk. Mix until smooth after each addition.
- Stir in one cup of the flaked coconut.
- In a separate bowl beat the egg whites until stiff but not dry. Fold gently into the batter.
- Pour batter into prepared baking pans and bake about 25 minutes. Cool in pans 10 minutes before turning out on racks. Cool completely before icing.
- Fill between the layers with jelly and ice with Seven Minute Icing. Coat with the remaining one cup flaked coconut.