How to Make Coconut Meringue Cupcakes
- Place fluted paper cups in a 1 muffin tin, the 2 1/2 in size.
- Put egg whites and cream of tartar in a small bowl and beat until frothy. Gradually add sugar, continue beating until stiff peaks form and sugar is thoroughly blended.
- Add Almond extract, then flour, sprinkling a little at a time on the meringue, beating at low speed only until flour is blended.
- Fold in coconut, and fill paper liners almost to the top. (these don't rise too much)
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes, or until golden brown on top.
- These will freeze well. Yield 12 2 1/2 inch across top. For a Tea, they should be made smaller in tiny muffin cups and baked about 15 minutes.
- Note: If baked in 2 1/2 in muffin tins, the cakes may be used in several ways. They may be used for a strawberry shortcake, the cakes split horizontally and sweetened strawberries spoon over the halves, then topped with vanilla ice cream. They can also be used topped with ice cream and hot sherry flavored chocolate sauce spooned over them for a luscious dinner dessert.