Chocolate Covered Cherry Cake
You can store the cake, covered with foil, at room temperature for up to five days or in the refrigerator for up to a week. It can also be frozen. I've never had it last long enough to worry about it.
- 1 box
- devil's food cake mix (with or without pudding)
- 1 can(s)
- cherry pie filling
- 2 large
- 1 tsp
- almond extract
- 1 c
- 1/3 c
- 1/3 c
- whole milk
- 1 c
- semi-sweet chocolate chips
How to Make Chocolate Covered Cherry Cake
- 1Preheat oven to 350°. Lightly mist a 9x13 inch pan with Pam. Set aside.
- 2Place the cake mix, cherry pie filling, eggs and almond extract in a large bowl. Blend with an electric mixer on low speed for 1 minute. Scrape the bowl down the sides and beat 2 minutes more. The batter should look thick and well blended.
- 3Pour batter into the prepared pan, smoothing top with a rubber spatula. Place on middle rack of oven. Bake the cake until it springs back when lightly pressed with your finger and it just starts to pull away from the pan (30-35 minutes).
- 4For the glaze, place the sugar, butter and milk in a small saucepan over medium-low heat and cook, stirring constantly, until mixture comes to a boil. Boil, stirring constantly for one minute.
- 5Remove from heat and stir in chocolate chips. When the chips have melted and the glaze is smooth, pour it over the warm cake,so that it covers the whole surface. The glaze will be thin, but will firm up. Cool the cake for 20 minutes before cutting into squares and serving.