Chocolate Blackberry Swirl Cream Cheese Pound Cake
Hope you enjoy!
3 stickbutter, softened
1(8-oz) pkg cream cheese
3 call purpose flour
1 tspalmond extract
1/2 tspvanilla extract
1(16-oz) pkg frozen blackberries (or fresh when possible)
3 Tbspwine (a fruity wine) or water
1(1.4-oz) dark chocolate dove bar (or can use 1 oz bakers semi-sweet chocolate)
How to Make Chocolate Blackberry Swirl Cream Cheese Pound Cake
- Make the Coulis 1st so it will have time to cool.
CHOCOLATE BLACKBERRY COULIS: Combine ingredients in a medium size sauce pan over a medium heat; bring to a boil. Once berries are hot an blump, mash them with back of spoon, or use a stick blender to mash them. Stain juice of the berries into a bowl. Rinse pan to remove any seed and return juice to pan. Bring back to a boil; reduce heat and simer for about 20 to 25 minutes until reduced to about 1/2. This will make about 2/3 cup. Remove from heat and add chocolate bar; stir until chocolate is melted. Set aside to cool.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease angel food tube cake pan and line with wax paper.
NOTE: I've been baking cream cheese pound cakes for many years and they've always been a favorite, however, for the last 2 to 3 years as I've made my cream cheese pound cake, I found that I was not happy with the texture of the cakes. The only thing that had changed was the pan I was baking the cakes in. I had purchased one of those really nice heavy duty bundt pans. That is the only thing I had changed. Today I decided to use my old trustworthy angel food pan and to my delight my cake is back to the way I love them. Amazing how a little change makes a difference!
- POUND CAKE: Beat butter with a heavy duty electic mixer on a medium speed until creamy; gradually add sugar and continue beating until fluffy.
- Add cream cheese and continue beating until creamy, scraping down bowl as needed.
- Add eggs one at a time; beating each egg just until blended before adding next egg.
- Reduce speed to low on mixer and gradually add flour, scraping down sides of bowl as needed.
- Stir in almond and vanilla extract.
- Spoon about 1/3 of batter into prepared pan. Place dollops of the Blackberry Coulis on to batter, using about 1/2 of the sauce. With the handle of a "round" wooden spoon swirl the coulis into the batter. Repeat this with a 2nd layer of batter and coulis. Top with remaining 1/3 of batter.
- Bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes to 1 hour and 30 minutes or until wooden pick or cake tester when inserted into center of cake comes out clean. NOTE: Normally I bake a plain cream cheese cake for 1 hour and 15 minutes. With the coulis it took about 1 hour and 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and cool in pan on rack for about 20 minutes. Remove cake from pan and place top side up on cake plate. I love the crunchy top!