German Chocolate Cake with Cheesecake Pockets
An incredibly tempting cake!
Recipe and photo from the Cake Mix Doctor.
1 pkg(18 ounce) german chocolate cake mix
1 1/3 cbuttermilk or water
1 pkg(8 ounce) cream cheese, at room temperature
1/2 cbutter, at room temperature
3 cpowdered sugar, sifted
1 cshredded coconut
1/2 cpecans, finely chopped
1/4 cfinely chopped pecans or 2 tsps. powdered sugar
How to Make German Chocolate Cake with Cheesecake Pockets
- Beat the cake mix, buttermilk, oil, eggs and vanilla with an electric mixer on low speed for 30 seconds.
Increase speed to medium and beat about 1 1/2 minutes longer.
- Pour batter into a greased and floured 9 X 13 inch pan, smoothing the top with a rubber spatula.
- Beat the softened cream cheese and butter with an electric mixer on low speed for 30-45 seconds.
Add powdered sugar and beat on low speed until mixture comes together, then increase the speed to medium and beat until fluffy, about 30 seconds.
- Stir in the coconut and pecans.
- Drop the cheesecake mixture by tablespoonfuls on top of the German chocolate batter,
nearly covering the top.
If using, sprinkle 1/4 cup pecans over the top for garnish.
- Place the pan in the oven and bake the cake until the top feels firm but the cheesecake pockets jiggle a little when you gently shake it. Bake at 350 degrees for 44-48 minutes.
- Cool on wire rack for 20 minutes.
Dust the top of the cake with powdered sugar, if using.
- Store cake, covered in the refrigerator for up to one week.
Do not freeze.
- To serve, can be cut into individual pieces; Turn upside down on plate.