Cast Iron Pineapple Upside Down Cake
- 1 can(s)
- sliced pineapple
- maraschino cherries
- 1/2 stick
- 1 c
- light brown sugar
- 1 3/4 c
- all purpose flour
- 2 tsp
- baking powder
- 1/4 tsp
- 1/2 c
- whole milk
- 2 tsp
- pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 c
- pineapple juice reserved from can
- 3/4 c
- granulated sugar
- 1/2 c
- unrefined coconut oil
- 1 large
How to Make Cast Iron Pineapple Upside Down Cake
- 1In a 10 inch cast iron skillet, melt 1/2 stick butter.
- 2Sprinkle in the brown sugar to coat the bottom of the skillet. Stir the sugar in the butter until it melts. Remove from heat.
- 3Lay in the pineapple slices to cover the bottom of the pan. Then place the cherries in the middle of the pineapples. You may lay in more cherries to your liking.
- 4In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt.
- 5In a small mixing bowl, combine the milk, vanilla extract and 1/4 cup of the reserved pineapple juice.
- 6In a medium mixing bowl, combine the granulated sugar and coconut oil on medium speed until thick and creamy.
- 7Beat in the egg. Add half of the flour mixture and mix on low until just combined. Add the milk mixture and stir until just combined. Add the rest of the flour and mix until combined.
- 8Pour the batter over the pineapple slices in the skillet and spread evenly. Bake until the top is golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean when inserted, 25 to 35 minutes, checking after 20 minutes to make sure the top isn't getting too brown. If it is, cover loosely with aluminum foil.
- 9Let cool for 15 minutes. Cover with a cutting board or large plate and invert the cake.