Butter Brickle Coffee Cake
1 cbrown sugar, firmly packed
2 call purpose flour
1 tspbaking soda
1 stickbutter, sodtened
1-1 1/2 cbuttermilk
1 largebeaten egg
1 pkgheath toffee bits
1/2 cpecans (optional)
How to Make Butter Brickle Coffee Cake
- Preheat Oven to 350 degrees. Oil a 9x13 inch baking pan.
- Mix sugars together and set aside. Sift dry ingredients together then stir into the sugar.
- Cut butter into sugar/flour mixture then remove 1/2 cup of this mix and set it aside.
- Add buttermilk to larger mixture. Be sure and do not use low fat butter milk, use full fat. It DOES make a difference in taste. *see note* Then add vanilla and beat with a mixer until well mixed. Start with just the 1 cup of buttermilk and that is usually enough but can add a bit more so it mixes well.
- Pour this into the prepared pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes.
- Note: You can add candies such M&Ms if desired. If you cannot find full fat buttermilk then make your own by adding 2 tablespoons lemon juice or vinegar to a 1 cup measure then adding milk up to the 1 cup mark. Stir this and then let it sit about 15 minutes before using.