Boston Cream Pie
- eggs, separated
- 1 tsp
- 1/2 cup
- 3/4 cup
- 1 pinch
- 1 3oz. pkg
- instant pudding mix, vanilla or white chocolate, made according to package directions
- 1/2 cup
- 3 tbsp
- light corn syrup
- 2 tbsps
- 4 squares
- semi-sweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
How to Make Boston Cream Pie
- 1Beat together egg yolks and vanilla at medium speed until blended. Beat in half of sugar until very thick and pale.
- 2Using clean, dry beaters, beat together egg whites and salt at medium speed until very soft peaks form. Gradually beat in remaining sugar until stiff, but not dry, peaks form.
- 3Fold yolk mixture into egg whites. Sift flour over mixture; fold in gently. Do not overmix. Pour batter into a greased 9" round cake pan, lined with wax paper. Bake in a 350F preheated oven for 25 minutes, or until top of cake springs back when lightly pressed.
- 4Loosen cake by running a metal spatula around sides of pan. Invert cake onto a wire rack. Remove pan, leaving waxed paper on cake. Turn cake right side up. Cool completely on wire rack.
- 5Prepare pudding mix and refrigerate.
- 6Using a serrated knife, cut cake horizontally in half. Carefully remove waxed paper. Place bottom layer on a serving plate. Spread evenly with filling. Top with remaining cake layer.
- 7Glaze: In a saucepan, bring sugar, corn syrup, and water to a boil over medium low heat, stirring constantly, until sugar has dissolved. Remove from heat. Add chocolate. Let stand for about 1 minute. Whisk until smooth. Gradually pour glaze over cake, allowing it to run down the sides. Let stand until glaze sets.