Blackberry Brandy Cupcakes
FOR THE CUPCAKES:
2 3/4 call purpose flour
2 1/2 tspbaking powder
1 tspbaking soda
1 1/2 csugar
3 tspvanilla extract
1 cvegetable or olive oil (olive will make a slightly fluffier cake; vegetable oil will make it a bit more dense)
1 cbuttermilk (or, alternatively, 1 cup milk with 1 tsp white vinegar. allow to sit for at least 5 minutes after mixed.)
1 cblackberry brandy
FOR THE ICING:
1/2 cor 1 stick of butter (or margarine)
3 cconfectioners’ sugar
1 cdark brown sugar
How to Make Blackberry Brandy Cupcakes
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line a cupcake/muffin pan with cupcake liners (Optional)
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- Crack the eggs into a bowl and whisk them for roughly 10-20 seconds.
- Add the sugar and continue whisking for 20-30 seconds
- Add the vanilla and the oil to the mixture and whisk until thoroughly mixed
- Slowly add half of the flour mixture. After that is completely mixed, add half of the buttermilk, then the rest of the flour, and then the rest of the buttermilk.
- Pour the brandy into a saucepan and heat until boiling. Let boil for 20-30 seconds and then remove from heat. Pour into batter and stir well.
- Continue mixing the batter until completely combined and smooth. The batter should be thin. Pour the batter into the pans, filling until about 1/2 full.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes, or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Take them out, and set them out to cool. Now you start your icing.
- Icing Directions:
- Cream the butter or margarine in a bowl. Gradually add 2 cups of the confectioners’ sugar, and mix completely.
- Slowly add the milk, and then stir in the brown sugar and remaining confectioners’ sugar.
- If you want a thinner consistency, add some more milk. If you want thicker, add more confectioners’ sugar.
- By this point, the cupcakes should be completely cooled. Now you just ice them and serve!