Authentic European wholewheat apple cinnamon pie
If not serving kids, try rum raisins instead of normal raisins! For vegan, margarine works too.
- lemon (juice and grated rind)
- 1 Tbsp
- brown sugar (or other sugar)
- 1/4 c
- 1/4 c
- hazelnuts or other nuts
- 2 tsp
- cinnamon powder
- 150 g
- butter, cold
- 1/3 c
- 2 c
- flour (i like mix of spelt and wholewheat)
- 1 pinch
FOR THE FILLING
FOR THE PASTRY
How to Make Authentic European wholewheat apple cinnamon pie
- 2First the filling: Core and cut the apples into cubes. I tend to leave the skin on, less work, healthier and just as tasty! Put the cubes in a big bowl.
- 4Then the pastry: Put the pastry ingredients in a bowl. Using two knives, cut the butter into small cubes. The mixture will seem quite dry and powdery, nothing like dough. That's how it should be. Don't be too precise. The butter will magically mix with the flour in the oven! The reason for using knives is to keep the butter cold and your fingers clean. You can try a kitchen machine but it tends to turn into a mess and it's much more cleaning.