Apple-Yogurt Cake w/Cinnamon Swirls
- 1 1/2 c
- whole milk plain yogurt, drained
- 2/3 c
- olive oil
- 2 tsp
- orange zest
- 1/4 c
- fresh orange juice (replaces lemon juice)
- 3/4 c
- unbleached white sugar
- 3 large
- 1 1/4 tsp
- pure vanilla extract
- 4 small
- tart apples (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 2 1/2 c
- unbleached flour (1/2 cup all-purpose flour was replaced with pastry flour)
- 2 1/2 tsp
- baking powder
- 3/4 tsp
- baking soda
- 1/2 tsp
- 2 tsp
- cinnamon, divided
- freshly ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp
- ground cardamom (i added this spice because i love cardamom w/apples!)
- 1/2 c
- brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp
- butter, to room temperature
How to Make Apple-Yogurt Cake w/Cinnamon Swirls
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a 9x13-inch baking pan with butter or oil.
- 2In a large non-reactive bowl whisk together the plain yogurt, olive oil, orange zest and juice, 3/4 cup sugar, eggs and vanilla.
- 3Peel and core the apples and shred (used a food processor) or cut into chunks. I prefer to shred the apples. You will need about 3 1/2-4 cups of apples. Stir the apples into the yogurt mixture.
- 4Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, nutmeg, and cardamom then stir into the liquid ingredients stirring until no lumps remain.
- 5In a small prep bowl, mix together the remaining teaspoon of ground cinnamon with the brown sugar and butter.
- 6Pour [half] of the batter into the prepared cake pan. Sprinkle the batter with [half] of the cinnamon-brown sugar mixture, dropping it on the batter in small lumps. Spread the rest of the batter over the top, and sprinkle with the remaining cinnamon-brown sugar.
- 7Bake for about 50 minutes covering the cake with aluminum foil at the end if the top is browning too quickly. Test the center with a toothpick then transfer the cake to a cooling rack and allow to cool for at least 15 minutes before cutting. Serve the cake warm or at room temperature. Delicious with tea or coffee!