- 1/2 c
- maraschino cherries, drained and finely chopped
- 2 1/2 c
- 1/2 c
- 1 c
- cold butter
- 12 oz
- white chocolate baking squares, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp
- almond extract
- 2 tsp
- 2 dash(es)
- red food coloring (optional)
- white nonpareils and/or red edible glitter
How to Make White-Chocolate Cherry Shortbread
- 1Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Spread cherries on paper towels to drain well.
- 2In a large bowl, combine flour and sugar. Using a pastry blender, cut in the butter until mixture resembles fine crumbs.
- 3Stir in drained cherries and 4 ounces (2/3 cup) of the chopped chocolate. Stir in almond extract and, if desired, food coloring.
- 4Knead mixture until it forms a smooth ball.
Shape dough into 3/4-inch balls. Place balls 2 inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet. Using the bottom of a drinking glass dipped in sugar, flatten balls to 1-1/2-inch rounds.
- 5Bake in preheated oven for 10 to 12 minutes or until centers are set. Cool for 1 minute on cookie sheet. Transfer cookies to a wire rack and let cool.
- 6In a small saucepan, combine remaining 8 ounces white chocolate and the shortening. Cook and stir over low heat until melted. Dip half of each cookie into chocolate, allowing excess to drip off.
- 7If desired, roll dipped edge in nonpareils and/or edible glitter. Place cookies on parchment or waxed paper until chocolate is set.