White Chocolate Cherry Shortbread
1/2 cmaraschino cherries, drained and finely chopped
2 1/2 call purpose flour
1 cbutter, cold
12 ozwhite chocolate baking squares, finely chopped
1/2 tspalmond extract
2drops red food coloring
·white spinkles or red edible glitter
How to Make White Chocolate Cherry Shortbread
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. I like to spread the cherries on paper towels to drain.
- In a large bowl, combine flour and sugar. Using a pastry blender, cut in the butter until mixture resembles fine crumbs. Stir in drained cherries and 4 ounces (2/3 cup) of the chopped chocolate. Stir in almond extract and, if desired, food coloring. Knead mixture until it forms a smooth ball.
- Shape dough into 3/4-inch balls. Place balls 2 inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet. Using the bottom of a drinking glass dipped in sugar, flatten balls to 1-1/2-inch rounds.
- Bake in preheated oven for 10 to 12 minutes or until centers are set. Cool for 1 minute on cookie sheet. Transfer cookies to a wire rack and let cool.
- In a small saucepan, combine remaining 8 ounces white chocolate and the shortening. Cook and stir over low heat until melted. Dip half of each cookie into chocolate, allowing excess to drip off. If desired, roll dipped edge in nonpareils and/or edible glitter. Place cookies on waxed paper until chocolate is set. Makes about 55-60.