Walnut & Chocolate Fingers
4 Tbspbutter, melted, plus extra for greasing
5 largesheets phyllo pastry
1 Tbspconfectioners' sugar, for dusting
1 1/4 cwalnut pieces, ground coarsely*
2 Tbspgolden granulated sugar
1/2 tspground cinnamon
2 ozgood quality semisweet chocolate, grated
How to Make Walnut & Chocolate Fingers
- Preheat the oven to 325°F. Grease 2 cookie sheets (or line with parchment paper).
- Make the Filling: In a bowl, mix together the walnuts, granulated sugar, cinnamon and grated chocolate.
- Cut each sheet of phyllo pastry into 4 rectangles (measuring 9x7-inches). Pile on top of each other and cover with a clean, slightly damp (but not dripping wet) dish towel to prevent drying out.
- Brush a phyllo rectangle with melted butter. Spread a teaspoon of filling along one short end. Fold the long sides in, slightly over the filling. Roll up from the end with the filling.
- Place on the prepared cookie sheet with the seam underneath and brush with melted butter. Repeat with the remaining pastry and filling. Bake for 20 minutes, or until very lightly colored.
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool. Dust with confectioners' sugar before serving.
* VARIATION: Substitute ground almonds, or chopped pistachios or pine nuts, for the walnuts.