Valentine Heart Cookies
- 2 3/4 c
- all purpose flour
- 2 c
- 1 tsp
- baking soda
- 1/2 tsp
- 2 tsp
- 1/4 tsp
- almond ectract
- 1 1/4 c
- 3 c
- powdered sugar
- 1/3 c
- margarine, softened
- 1 1/2 tsp
- 1-2 Tbsp
- assorted food colors
- 1 tube(s)
- red gel icing
FOR THE COOKIES
FOR THE FROSTING
How to Make Valentine Heart Cookies
- 1FOR THE COOKIES
- 2Place flour, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl. Stir to combine and set aside.
- 3Place margarine and sugar in a large bowl. Cream together until light and fluffy.
- 4Beat in the eggs one at a time, then the vanilla.
- 5Gradually stir in the dry ingredients until just blended.
- 6Cover and chill for an hour.
- 7Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- 8Roll out the dough on a floured surface (1/4 to 1/2 inch thick)
- 9Cut with heart shaped cookie cutter.
- 10Place cookies 1 inch apart on ungreased cookie sheet.
- 11Bake about 8 minutes or until the edges are lightly browned.
- 12Remove from the oven. Let sit 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- 13FOR THE FROSTING
- 14While cookies are baking and cooling....
- 15In a medium bowl, mix (on low speed) the margarine and powdered sugar until just smooth.
- 16Stir in the vanilla and 1 tablespoon of the milk.
- 17Gradually stir in more milk a little at a time until frosting is smooth and spreadable.
- 18Divide the frosting into smaller bowls, one for each color you want to use.
- 19Stir in the food coloring one drop at a time until you have the color you want.
- 20I put my frosting in a frosting bag to make decorating the cookies easier.
- 21Use the red gel icing to write your messages on the cookie. I use the conversation hearts candy as inspiration.