Ultimate Maple-Bacon Bourbon Cream Sandwich Cookies
Blue Ribbon Recipe
The Test Kitchen smelled heavenly while these were baking! We taste each layer of the recipe as it's being prepared, so we knew this was going to be good. It was worth the wait! The maple extract and bourbon pair well together. Adding bacon only makes this cookie better! It's a smoky-sweet reward once they're all assembled. The Test Kitchen
8 slicebacon, cut into 1/4 inch pieces
1 1/2 cunsalted butter, at room temperature, for divided use
1 1/4 cbrown sugar
2 Tbspbourbon, divided
1 tspmaple extract, divided
2 1/2 cflour
1 1/2 cpowdered sugar, divided
1 Tbspmaple syrup
1 Tbspmilk or cream
How to Make Ultimate Maple-Bacon Bourbon Cream Sandwich Cookies
- For the Maple-Bourbon Bacon Shortbread Cookies:
Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large pan on medium heat, render bacon pieces until crispy. Remove bacon to drain on paper towels, reserving 1 tablespoon bacon fat for later use. Set aside 25 bacon pieces for garnish, if desired.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream 1 cup softened butter with brown sugar until well combined.
- Add 1 tablespoon of the bourbon and 1/2 teaspoon of the maple extract, mixing well.
- Add flour and remaining bacon pieces. Mix on low until stiff dough forms.
- Sprinkle clean work surface lightly with flour or powdered sugar to reduce sticking. Roll out dough to 1/8 inch, cut into 50 squares with a sharp knife or cookie cutters.
- Place onto parchment-lined sheets and bake for 14-18 minutes or until set and slightly golden at edges. Let cool completely.
- For the Maple Bourbon Buttercream Filling: In a separate bowl with an electric mixer, beat remaining 1/2 cup butter with 1 cup of the powdered sugar, 1/2 teaspoon maple extract, and remaining tablespoon bourbon until fluffy and light.
- Place into a disposable piping bag or ziptop bag. Snip point of the bag with scissors, and pipe onto bottom of cooled cookie. Top with the second cookie, pressing lightly to form a sandwich.
- FOR MAPLE-BACON DRIZZLE: In a small bowl, whisk together the remaining 1/2 cup powdered sugar, maple syrup, reserved bacon fat (heat gently if needed to liquefy), and thin with milk, 1 tablespoon at a time until drizzling consistency is achieved.
- Place in a ziptop bag, snip the corner, and drizzle on top of sandwich cookies.
- Top each cookie with a reserved piece of bacon, if desired. Let icing set until dry.