Ultimate Cookie Lovers' Thumbprints
Winner of the Christmas Cookie Classic Contest
Blue Ribbon Recipe
Oh my .... this is one delicious cookie! From the intense chocolate flavors to the different textures, I couldn't stop snacking on these cookies. The cookie is soft and moist, with a bit of crunch from the nuts and mini chocolate chips. Cookie butter is the icing on top. The Test Kitchen
1/2 cbutter, softened
2/3 cbrown sugar, firmly packed
1 largeegg, separated
2 Tbsphalf & half or whole milk
2 tspvanilla extract
1 call purpose flour
1/3 ccocoa, unsweetened
1/2 csemi-sweet mini chocloate chips, divided
32 smallpecan halves
3/4 cfinely chopped pecans
3/4 ccookie butter or cookie spread
How to Make Ultimate Cookie Lovers' Thumbprints
- In a medium bowl cream together the butter & brown sugar. Beat in the egg yolk, half & half, & vanilla. Mix in the flour, cocoa, & salt until combined. Set 3 tablespoons of chocolate chips aside, then mix remaining chocolate chips into the dough.
- Cover dough with plastic wrap & chill for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a large cookie sheet. Space the pecan halves at least 2 1/2 inches apart on the sheet.
- Roll dough into approximately 1 inch balls. Dip tops into the egg white, & then into the chopped pecans. Place one ball of dough, nut side up, over each pecan half. Gently press centers with a thumb or back of a teaspoon.
- Bake for 9-12 minutes or just until set but still soft. Let cool on the pan for 5 minutes, then remove to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Spoon the cookie butter into a plastic zip top bag. Snip off the corner & pipe into the indentations. Sprinkle with reserved chocolate chips.