Tutu's aka Italian Chocolate Cookies
I have made these every Christmas since 1978 and they have become a traditional Christmas cookie for our family.
1 1/4 csugar
2 heaping Tbspcocoa powder
2 heaping Tbspcinnamon
2 heaping Tbspbaking powder
1 cplus 2 teaspoons, crisco
1 csemi-sweet mini chocolate chips
1 cchopped walnuts
3 1/2 cpowdered sugar
How to Make Tutu's aka Italian Chocolate Cookies
- Combine flour, sugar, cocoa, cinnamon and baking powder. Mix with hands. Add Crisco.
- Add eggs. Mix well.
- Add milk. Mix well.
- Add chocolate chips and walnuts.
- Make balls about half the size of a walnut.
- Place on cookie sheet lined with parchment.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 8 minutes.
- Mix glaze. Combine powdered sugar, vanilla and milk to a thin consistency. Dip cookies on glaze and allow to dry.
- Store in an air tight container or tin.
- *** NOTE: I have written the recipe exactly as given to me. Years ago I mixed these with my hands! Today I use my food processor to combine the dry ingredients with crisco. Using the pulse button I combine like I do for pie crust.
I then place these ingredients in my large kitchen aid mixer bowl. I then mix on low speed until combined.