Deborah Jean Schmidt
- 14 oz
- individual caramels, @ 40ct unwrapped
- 1/2 c
- evaporated milk
- 1 box
- cake mix, german chocolate
- 1 stick
- butter, room temperature
- 1/3 c
- 1 c
- semi-sweet mini chocloate chips
- 1 c
- pecans, chopped
How to Make Turtle Brownies
- 1Preheat oven to 350* F. Line a 13x9 inch baking pan with foil; oil on bottom and sides of the lined pan generously
- 2Place the caramels and evaporated milk in a small, heavy saucepan, or microwave-safe bowl.
Over medium-low heat, heat the caramels and incorporate the milk, constantly stirring until caramels are fully melted.
- 3In a separate mixing bowl, combine German chocolate cake mix, butter, and milk. Press approx. 1/2 to 2/3 of the mixture into the oiled baking pan. Bake 11-12 minutes, then remove from oven and cool slightly. The crust will seem soft at this point
- 4Pour the melted caramels over the baked mixture. While the caramel is still warm, sprinkle on the chocolate chips and chopped nuts.
Drop the remaining chocolate cake mixture (in small dollops) over the chips and nuts.
Bake 20-25 minutes, until firm to the touch.
- 5Cool completely and cut into bars w/ moistened knife.
Makes 24 bars at 340 calories each