Daune (pronounced "Dawn") Browne
- 2 c
- light brown sugar, firmly packed
- 2 c
- (4 sticks) of butter or margarine at room temp.
- egg yolks
- 1-1/2 tsp
- 4 c
- 1/2 tsp
- 2 4-oz
- bars of milk chocolate, broken in pieces
- 1 c
- chopped walnuts or pecans
How to Make Toffee Bars
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 2Beat together the sugar and butter or margarine until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg yolks and vanilla. Stir in the flour and salt.
- 3Spread the dough in a greased 13 X 9 X 2-inch baking pan. Bake until lightly browned, 25-30 minutes. The texture will be soft.
- 4Remove from the oven and immediately place the chocolate pieces on the hot cookie base. Let stand until the chocolate softens, then spread it evenly with a spatula. Sprinkle with nuts.
- 5While still warm, cut into bars about 2 X 1-1/2 inches.