Toasted coconut wafers
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 1/4 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract or vanilla
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- one egg yolk
- two and a quarter cups flour
- 1 cup shredded coconut, toasted
- one egg white, lightly beaten
- 1 cup shredded coconut
How to Make Toasted coconut wafers
- 1in large bowl beat butter with a mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add powdered sugar, almond extract, and salt. Beat until combined, scraping sides of bowl occasionally. Beat in egg yolks until combined. Beat in as much of the flour as you can with mixer. Using a wooden spoon, stir in any remaining flour and the 1 cup toasted coconut.
- 2Divide dough in half. Shape each half into an 8 inch roll. Brush rolls with egg white, then roll in the 1 cup shredded coconut to coat. Wrap each roll of plastic wrap or waxed paper. Chill for 4 to 24 hours or until dough is firm enough to slice.
- 3Preheat oven to 375°. Cut rolls into 1/4 inch slices. Place slices 1 inch apart on an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until edges are light Brown. Cool on cookie sheet for one minute. Transfer cookies to a wire rack. Cool. Makes about 60 cookies.