Tiny Tim's Tidings of Joy Cookies
(**Great recipe for teaching kids how to bake.)
- 1 (9 oz.)
- can crushed pineapple in heavy syrup (the cans got smaller, but 8 oz. is ok, can always double the recipe)
- stick butter (don't sub)
- 1 cup
- light brown sugar
- 2 cups
- 2 tsp.
- double-acting baking powder (same as we use today)
- 1/2 tsp.
- 1 (6 oz.)
- pkg. butterscotch bits (chips)
- 1/2 cup
- walnuts, chopped
- *candied cherries for decoration (maraschino, drained well)
How to Make Tiny Tim's Tidings of Joy Cookies
- 1Tiny Tim says to his friends:
Take the butter out of the icebox. Let it get soft. Get the oven temperature to 375 degrees. Grease the cookie sheets.
- 2Get a small bowl and a strainer. Open the can of pineapple and dump the pineapple into the strainer. Let the syrup drip into the bowl. Set aside.
- 3Get a large mixing bowl and measure the soft butter into it. Pack the brown sugar into a measuring cup and pour it over the butter. Cream the butter and sugar together.
- 4Now get a cup. Break the egg into the cup and then pour it into the mixing bowl with the creamed mixture. Measure out 3 Tbl. of the pineapple syrup and pour it over the egg. Beat everything together with a mixing spoon. Beat it well. Do not leave any lumps of sugar in the batter. Set the mixing bowl aside.
- 5Measure the flour, the baking powder, and the salt into a sifter. Sift them into a bowl. Add the sifted ingredients to the egg mixture. Stir slowly. Stir until the white flour is all mixed into the batter.
- 6Dump in the crushed pineapple, the butterscotch bits, and the nuts. (If you have whole walnuts, break them into bits before you add them.) Stir it all into the batter.
- 7Shape and bake the cookies.
Use an "eating" teaspoon. One full teaspoon of batter makes one cookie. Dip the spoon into the batter and push the batter off onto the greased cookie sheet. These cookies spread out as they bake, so leave plenty of room around each cookie. Put a cherry in the middle of each cookie. Now they are ready for the oven. They will be done in 10 or 12 minutes. In the meantime, you can get another batch ready if you have another cookie sheet.
- 8Time's up! Take the cookie sheet out of the oven. Carefully lift the cookies off with a spatula. (They will be VERY soft.) Put them on a wire rack to cool.
They look delicious! They smell delicious! Fit for a king.
"God bless us, everyone!" ~Tiny Tim