Thumb Print Cookies The Ultimate best!
Also, I just made these again with my Grandchildren. We didnt add the nuts and they still turned out great! Have the kids roll the dough into balls and poke their thumbs into them....they had a blast creating these cookies! :)
Blue Ribbon Recipe
Reminiscent of pecan sandies, these gorgeous cookies are as tasty as they are festive. The Test Kitchen
- 1 c
- all purpose flour
- 1/8 tsp
- stick of butter, room tempurature
- 1/3 c
- sugar: add to the butter and blend until light and fluffy
- 1 tsp
- vanilla extract
- egg yolk (reserve egg white for glossing the tops of the cookies if you want)
- 3/4 c
- chopped walnuts (or other nut if you wish) *optional
- 1/2 c
- jam, preserves,spreads of your choosing. *see notes in directions
MIX TOGETHER AND SET ASIDE:
BLEND TOGETHER IN A MIXER: ONE INGREDIENT AT A TIME AND IN ORDER:
How to Make Thumb Print Cookies The Ultimate best!
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Blend flour and salt and set aside.
- 3Add the sugar, and blend until light and fluffy.
Add in the egg yolk and blend.
Add the vanilla and blend.
- 4Add in the flour and salt mixture and beat until blended. If adding the nuts, add them next and blend until it forms a dough ball. This is easier with a Kitchen aide blender.
- 6Into each ball on the cookie sheet, indent it with your thumb or finger (or even knuckle)
- 7Bake them in a preheated 350 degree oven for about 10 minutes.
Take them out of the oven. They will have puffed up a bit, and the indentation will be fairly lost at this point.
Again, indent the cookies with the back of a spoon this time, while still hot.
Place whatever filling you would like (about a 1/2 teaspoon in each cookie)
- 9* Any favorite jam,jelly or filling can be used in these cookies. The ones shown here, are apricot and strawberry preserves. Jellies tend to be more "runny" but will still work as well....depends on what you like and what you have on hand, but it is only limited to your imagination and tastes!
Make this recipe your own by adding whatever your family likes. :)
Seriously good cookies! And like I said, you might want to double this recipe, because they do not last long at all! :)