The Original M&M Cookies Recipe
Now that M&Ms are available in colors appropriate for most all the holidays - red and white at Valentine's Day, pastels at Easter - you can make this original M&M cookie recipe your go-to holiday cookie recipe using the holiday M&Ms appropriate to the season.
There are lots of different flavors to try to - think dark chocolate M&Ms, mint M&Ms, peanut butter M&Ms, just to name a few. You can also use smaller M&M baking bits that would work well in this cookie recipe.
2 1/2 call purpose flour
1 tspbaking soda
1 cbutter, softened
1 cbrown sugar, lightly packed
2 tspvanilla extract
1 2/3 cm&ms (reserve 1/2 cup for decorating)
How to Make The Original M&M Cookies Recipe
- Position one of your oven racks in the middle of your oven and preheat your oven to 375F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper for best results. Otherwise, use ungreased cookie sheets.
- In a medium size mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, salt and baking soda until well blended.
- 3.In a large mixing bowl, beat the butter (or shortening) and sugars with an electric mixer on medium-high speed until light and fluffy (This will take several minutes). Scrape down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula to make sure everything is well blended.
- Beat in the eggs and vanilla until creamy; Stir in flour mixture with a wooden spoon just until blended; Stir in 1 1/2 cups M&Ms.
- Drop dough by rounded teaspoonfuls onto prepared cookie sheets. Press several additional M&Ms into each cookie.
- Bake one cookie sheet at a time in the middle rack of the oven for 9 to 12 minutes or until the cookies are golden brown around the edges and just set in the center.
- Remove from the oven and transfer the cookies with a thin metal spatula to a wire rack to cool completely.