I, a friend of the family, am honored to share her old Southern Tea Cake recipe. My college friend first baked cookies from this Tea Cake recipe for me in the early 1980's. I have never forgotten the taste of the little, thin cookies.
It has been a joy to bake the cookies and share with my friends, 30+ years later.
- 2 c
- granulated sugar
- 2 stick
- unsalted butter
- large eggs
- 3 c
- 1 tsp
- vanilla extract
How to Make Tea Cakes
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
(I did not use a mixer; I simply stirred the ingredients together in a single bowl with a wooden spoon.
- 3Add slightly beaten (with a fork) eggs, one at a time, stirring well after the addition of each egg.
- 4Stir in flour in three portions, mixing well between additions of flour.
- 5Stir in vanilla extract.
- 6Portion onto parchment lined baking sheet using a #100 scoop (scant 1 teaspoon of dough)
- 8Remove from oven and cool 2 minutes on baking sheet, then place on wire rack and cool completely. After the Tea Cakes have cooled, they should be crispy on the outside and soft on the inside.