Sweetheart Sugar Cookies
For bite-size cookies: Cut rolled-out dough with a 1-inch heart-shaped cutter. Bake at 350° for 8 to 11 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Makes: about 20 dozen.
- 1 c
- butter, softened
- 1 c
- granulated sugar
- 1 tsp
- vanilla extract
- large egg
- 2 1/4 c
- all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp
- 2 tsp
- meringue powder
- pink sanding sugar
NOTE: YOU MAY NEED TO PREPARE ADDITIONAL MERINGUE POWDER-AND-WATER MIXTURE AS YOU DECORATE COOKIES. SANDING SUGAR MAY ALSO BE CALLED "FINE" SUGAR.
How to Make Sweetheart Sugar Cookies
- 1Preheat oven to 350°. Beat butter, granulated sugar, and vanilla at medium speed with an electric mixer until fluffy. Add egg, beating until blended.
- 2Combine flour and salt; gradually add to butter mixture, beating just until blended.
- 3Divide dough into 2 equal portions; flatten each portion into a disk. Cover and chill 10 minutes.
- 4Place 1 dough disk on a heavily floured surface, and roll to 1/8-inch thickness. Cut with a 3-inch heart-shaped cutter. Place 2 inches apart on lightly greased baking sheets. Repeat procedure with remaining dough disk.
- 5Bake at 350° for 10 to 12 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Let cool on baking sheets 5 minutes; transfer to wire racks, and let cool completely (about 30 minutes).
- 6Whisk together meringue powder and 2 Tbsp. water. Brush cookies with mixture, or dip cookies in mixture, and sprinkle with sanding sugar.