Sugarbelle's Perfect Sugar Cookies
- 1 c
- (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened (no substitutions)
- 1 1/2 c
- powdered sugar
- egg, room temperature
- 2-3 tsp
- flavoring/extract (i do 1 vanilla, 2 almond, but whatever you prefer)
- 2 1/2 -
- 2 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tsp
- baking powder
- 1 tsp
How to Make Sugarbelle's Perfect Sugar Cookies
- 1Cream together softened butter and confectioner’s sugar. Crack the egg into a separate bowl, and add the flavoring. Add that to the butter sugar mixture and mix until the egg is thoroughly incorporated.
- 2In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt, then add little by little to the mixture.
**You can tell the dough is ready when most of it sticks to the paddle. When you touch it, it has a little give, but does not stick to your fingers. The dough will stiffen up as it rests, so wait 5-10 minutes before working with it.**
- 5About this recipe:
-Day-old cookies make easier decorating . They are less likely to leach oil back into your icing if they have had a day or two to “dry out”. They are still soft, however.
-The dough DOES NOT need to be refrigerated.
-Do NOT soften your butter in the microwave. Take it out of the fridge, and it will be ready in about 2-3 hours. Or cut it into smaller pieces, and it will be ready in about 30-45 minutes.
-Baking times are approximate. Watch them the first few times you bake them. Do not over bake. If the cookies are browning you have gone too far.
-Start with with 2 1/2 cups of flour. Add another 1/4 of a cup if the dough seems too sticky.
- 6-The recipe doubles well.
-This dough can be flavored any way you like.
-The cookies freeze well.
-This recipe does spread a little. If you don’t like that add a little flour.
-If you don’t like salt, leave it out altogether.
-If you only have salted butter, use that and reduce the salt.