Sugar Crusted Meltaway Cookies
My personal variation to this recipe is to add 1 tablespoon of orange liqueur or triple sec to the orange juice. I also use mini-chocolate chips.
This recipe comes from the Pillsbury Bake-off Cookbook (1984), 31st Bake-Off contest.
1 Tbspgrated orange peel
1/4 corange juice
1/4 cgranulated sugar
3/4 cbutter, softened (or margarine)
1 tspvanilla extract
1 3/4 call purpose flour
6 oz pkgsemi-sweet chocolate chips
1 cfinely chopped nuts
·granulated sugar (for rolling cookies)
How to Make Sugar Crusted Meltaway Cookies
- Heat oven to 325 degrees
- In small bowl combine orange peel and orange juice; set aside.
- In large bowl cream 1/4 cup sugar, salt, butter, water and vanilla.
- Lightly spoon flour into measuring cup; level off. Stir in flour, chocolate chips and nuts; mix well.
- Shape dough into 1-inch balls. Place 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheets.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 15-20 minutes or until firm to touch. Remove from cookie sheets; cool completely.
- Strain orange juice mixture. Dip cookies in orange juice; roll in sugar. Allow to dry to form sugar shell.