Blue Ribbon Recipe
These tasty cookies are a great way to tame your sweet tooth! I sprinkled raw sugar on the top and just loved the slight crunch it gave to these otherwise scrumptiously soft cookies. The Test Kitchen
1 cunsalted butter, softened
1 cconfectioners' sugar
1 cvegetable or canola oil
1 tspvanilla (use 1/2 tsp if using real vanilla)
4 1/2 csifted flour
1 tspbaking soda
1 tspcream of tartar
How to Make Sugar Cookies
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees, Combine butter (let butter get very soft for best results), sugars (sift sugars together), and oil in a large mixer bowl using medium speed. Beat in eggs and vanilla.
- Sift flour, baking soda, and cream of tartar together; gradually beat into creamed mixture using low speed. Mix well.
- Shape teaspoons of dough into balls (dough will be soft). Place 2 inches apart onto ungreased cookie sheets. Flatten slightly with tines of fork, which have been dipped in sugar. (You can sprinkle a little more sugar on top if desired.)
- Bake at 375 for 10 to 12 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove cookies; cool on racks.
- Store in a covered container.
Note: The original recipe calls for margarine and vanilla extract. It also calls for all-purpose flour. I use self-rising flour. I have found the taste is better using unsalted butter and real vanilla.